Skip to main content

Writing

Well, my midlife crisis came to a head a few weeks ago. I had so many things planned differently this fall--teaching fourth grade. But instead I find myself here at home. Every option and plan fell through. I have struggled with finding my purpose--doing something more than the boring and mundane tasks of home. I felt chastened as I talked with my friend, Nadine at the bus stop while sending a daughter off to school. Nadine works full time while raising three very rambunctious children. While I was feeling sorry for myself to be "at home" Nadine expressed how she would give anything to be home right now raising her kids rather than going through the exhausting juggling of kids and career. I walked home feeling grateful for the opportunity to be home, but perplexed at what to do during the looming days and months ahead. I retreated to the indulgent vice of the internet. I sat on the couch. I surfed Facebook. I cleaned a few bathrooms and made a meal from time to time. I was descending into the oblivion.

Then, a lightening bolt struck last week. Actually, it was a small idea that has been gaining a lot of momentum in my mind. "Melanie, I thought, "you live so much in your mind. You sped your days thinking and researching. Why not take all of your musings and thoughts and force those babies out into words and capture them onto paper? You are living a writer's dream life--uninterrupted quiet time to think, research and write. Writers would kill to have this opportunity!" And that was that. The idea felt like inspiration. It felt right. My excitement has been growing in anticipation for today--the day I become an official writer!

And so I embark on the disciple of writing. I am not sure just what I will write about, how I will make money off of this endeavor or how to really begin, but I keep feeling that if I begin I will eventually be led to what I need to create. Something will come. Ultimately my  desire for writing is to glorify my Father in Heaven and to make my family and posterity proud.  (And no more sitting on the couch getting fat! Take that!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Advice I Could Ever Give

A daughter called the other day feeling frustrated and frazzled. The little grandkids were at it again--destroying any possible dings of clean and order my dear daughter had worked on that Saturday morning. As my daughter expressed her frustrations, I immediately jumped into "solving" mode. Perhaps she could install child locks on a few doors, place excess toys out of prying little hands and keep important things out of harm's way. I started to offer suggestions, and then stopped myself.  Instead, I listened and expressed sympathy. I told my daughter I understood her feelings--I had been a mom to toddlers once upon a time. I told her I could give her a lot of advice--which she may or may not use. Instead, I told her the best counsel I could give would be to study the situation out in her mind, turn the matter over to Heavenly Father and listen.  I shared my experience of being at the end of my rope back in the day, praying, and pleading for help. My home was in a state of

Boston!- Part One

When Trevar texted me a few weeks ago that he had booked flights for us to travel to Boston, I felt my anxiety kick up a few notches. I am a homebody and absolutely hate the thought  of travel. There are so many variable when traveling to a new place. Would I be safe? Would the people be rude? Would I feel depressed if the weather was rainy? Would I stress about finding things to eat? Concerns that suck my peace away, but concerns nonetheless. These concerns consumed a big chunk of my energy. It was not until we were on the train to the airport that I found myself relaxing just a teeny, tiny bit. The flight was full and I found myself sandwiched between Trevar and a beautiful blonde, co-ed from BYU. The blonde girl was vivacious and I suspected she was probably in student government and cheerleading before college. When I asked about her plans for Boston she explained that she and a group of friends were running away for the weekend. I asked about where she was staying, "Oh, we
 Today I was reading in the Wall Street Journal  an article about the elderly bequething their precious things to the younger generation only to have the items rejected. Commenters suggested that the young no longer value quality. I have been thinking about this because I have seen my mom and mother-in-law in the midst of downsizing. I too, have been the recipient of unwanted items.  There are a few things to consider: *Styles change--and things are tastes and styles have changed faster than ever due to mass-produced items. Many of these items do not hold their value--and this holds true today as much as it does on items mass-produced 50 years ago.  *Less is more. We have shifted from an era where each piece of furniture, clothing, accessory was hard-earned. The quality was better. Now days, we are inundated with "fast fashion" items, Ikea, and Walmart. It is easy to become overloaded with "stuff". Like barnacles on a boat, we are weighted down with the sheer amount