Skip to main content

Screaming How We Feel

Meta communication--the idea that we are communicating volumes through our facial expressions and body language, and voice tone. It is thought by some psychologists that this form of communication is acatually louder and more persuasive taht actual words. The other day, I sat down to watch TV--a rare occurance. I sat and watched a drama. I could watch for very long because the acting was absolutely HORRIBLE! The actors were saying all the right words and trying their best to convey the seriousness and gravity of the situation,thought their character would respond, but there was a lag and delay in how their body reacted. I could tell that they were not feeling the depth of the situation, but were merely moving to their next line. The distortion was very subtle, and if you were caught up in the show, you would probably not notice it, because you would be filling in the emotional gaps that the actors had left.  It was maddening to me. I could not stand it and had to turn the television off. (I sometimes I wonder if if have the opposite of autism, where I am hyper sensitive to the emotions and energy people are sending out--but that is an musing for another day). The point I make is that we as humans scream how we feel thought these meta messages.
but their facial expressions and tone were all off and out of sync. They were responding how they

In his book Blink, Malcolm Gladwell relates how one researcher has been able to predict with 90% accuracy if a marriage will survive based on a series of freakishly subtle clues the couple gives off while hooked up to cameras and sensors. The tone may be casual and loving, but researches have been able to identify the moments of contempt through eye movement and body language. All may seem normal on the surface, but war rages underneath. So with this information comes the question, "if I can't 'fake' being nice, then how do I really overcome this?" And that is where I think charity comes in . More that just doing nice things, I think if we are to be truly Christ-like in our loving, we must change how we feel about others.  That doesn't mean we "can't fake it until we make it" but it does mean that if we want be Christlike, we must have "his image in our countenances". I think that the best way to become loving and to convey these messages is to pray and to work diligently to change thoughts and feelings about others. Mother Teresa said it best, "If you judge people, you have no time to love them". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Advice I Could Ever Give

A daughter called the other day feeling frustrated and frazzled. The little grandkids were at it again--destroying any possible dings of clean and order my dear daughter had worked on that Saturday morning. As my daughter expressed her frustrations, I immediately jumped into "solving" mode. Perhaps she could install child locks on a few doors, place excess toys out of prying little hands and keep important things out of harm's way. I started to offer suggestions, and then stopped myself.  Instead, I listened and expressed sympathy. I told my daughter I understood her feelings--I had been a mom to toddlers once upon a time. I told her I could give her a lot of advice--which she may or may not use. Instead, I told her the best counsel I could give would be to study the situation out in her mind, turn the matter over to Heavenly Father and listen.  I shared my experience of being at the end of my rope back in the day, praying, and pleading for help. My home was in a state of

Boston!- Part One

When Trevar texted me a few weeks ago that he had booked flights for us to travel to Boston, I felt my anxiety kick up a few notches. I am a homebody and absolutely hate the thought  of travel. There are so many variable when traveling to a new place. Would I be safe? Would the people be rude? Would I feel depressed if the weather was rainy? Would I stress about finding things to eat? Concerns that suck my peace away, but concerns nonetheless. These concerns consumed a big chunk of my energy. It was not until we were on the train to the airport that I found myself relaxing just a teeny, tiny bit. The flight was full and I found myself sandwiched between Trevar and a beautiful blonde, co-ed from BYU. The blonde girl was vivacious and I suspected she was probably in student government and cheerleading before college. When I asked about her plans for Boston she explained that she and a group of friends were running away for the weekend. I asked about where she was staying, "Oh, we
 Today I was reading in the Wall Street Journal  an article about the elderly bequething their precious things to the younger generation only to have the items rejected. Commenters suggested that the young no longer value quality. I have been thinking about this because I have seen my mom and mother-in-law in the midst of downsizing. I too, have been the recipient of unwanted items.  There are a few things to consider: *Styles change--and things are tastes and styles have changed faster than ever due to mass-produced items. Many of these items do not hold their value--and this holds true today as much as it does on items mass-produced 50 years ago.  *Less is more. We have shifted from an era where each piece of furniture, clothing, accessory was hard-earned. The quality was better. Now days, we are inundated with "fast fashion" items, Ikea, and Walmart. It is easy to become overloaded with "stuff". Like barnacles on a boat, we are weighted down with the sheer amount